Here are a few tips for taking care of yourself during a public crisis:
- Take breaks; get up and move around.
- Look for the meaning in your work and everyday activities.
- Disconnect from the social media and “news feed.”
- Maintain regular sleep and exercise routines and eating habits.
- Ask yourself, “Is this affecting me? If so, how am I coping? What do I need? How have I changed?”
- Connect with loved ones for support.
- Be aware of your vulnerability and the negative aspects of your work, strive for balance and maintain connection with others.
- Pay attention to your inner experience and talk about your feelings and responses to the events with friends and family.
- Focus on sources of pleasure and joy, and allow yourself to escape when necessary.
BJC EAP is available for support to any employee or staff. The hotline can be accessed by calling 314.747.7490 or 888.505.6444.