Daily meditation can help us manage the challenges each new day brings, including coping with stress and staying focused. Meditation can be done while sitting, walking, standing, or laying down, and it is one of many tools you can have in your well-being toolbox.
Meditation can be as simple as finding a comfortable place to sit and focus on your breathing. Here are some ideas to start a practice:
- Schedule a meditation break at a specific time each day; sometimes multiple short breaks can be beneficial too.
- Make a special spot for yourself to sit or lay down.
- Start with an easy goal, like 5 or 10 minutes at a time.
- Use a timer or guided recording to make it easy to begin and end the meditation.
- Spend the time just observing your thoughts; when a thought comes into your head, try to dismiss it and continue staying in the present moment.
- Don’t be too hard on yourself if the thoughts keep coming; this is human nature.
- Remind yourself to return to the practice of calming your mind and focusing on your breath.
- Try taking your meditation into nature by walking outside and listening to the wind and birds or simply looking out the window and observing the scenery.